Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Daycare Drama

I've been absent from this blog for quite some time. Building a daycare is very difficult and frustrating at times. I love what I do, but the business end of this job gets to me sometimes. Shortly after enrolling my last kiddo I lost my family due to parental job loss. They informed me on a Thursday that they were moving to Pennsylvania that Sunday. Wow - that was quick. It felt so defeating at the time because she had such a rough adjustment period. She had just started to turn around after about three weeks in care when I learned she'd be moving.

Despite my enjoyment and excitement about the addition of themes to my daycare business, I knew that I couldn't continue to do new themes constantly with income from only one full-time daycare kiddo. So I let that drop. That's not horrible in and of itself. It's summer after all and we spend so much time outdoors that not having the themes through the summer is not that big a deal. I do hope to resume them later this year. However, I've decided that my daycare needs to be full or close to full before I take on themes again.

I have enrolled two full-timers that are supposed to start this coming Monday. So I'm hoping that this enrollment works out. I have a series of interviews coming up also. I'm hoping to get at least one more enrollment from the interviews. However, I know that interviews are not a guarantee of anything. Last month I had a period of time where I had four interviews scheduled in one week. It made for a long week and Boo was out of sorts because his "mommy time" that he gets in the evening was eclipsed by parent interviews. I got no enrollment from any of those interviews. That felt very defeating, especially considering all of the time that I had given up with my little one in order to do the interviews.

Anyways, I guess all of that information brings this blog up to date. I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I'm maintaining my business instead of building it. But I'm still quite a ways from that point. Even once I get enrollment full, I have big plans for bringing the daycare space to the level of quality that I'd like it to be.

Hopefully I'll get to that point before too long. When I do I will definitely post my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment