Friday, August 14, 2009

Kids Make Lunch From the Garden

We had a blast making lunch today. I threw some hamburger in a frying pan with chopped onions and garlic and cooked my penne noodles. I had some tomatoes from my garden and I squeezed the juice of about 5 of them into my pan over the hamburger, onions, and garlic. Then I realized that I didn't have any basil picked. So I put the sauce on simmer and the kiddos walked out to the garden with me. They helped me pick basil out of the garden. They also picked red tomatoes out of the garden.

Once back inside and after washing up, they got to push the pump on the salad spinner and watch the basil dry. Then I chopped the basil and they got to sprinkle the chopped basil into our homemade sauce. I then combined the sauce and the penne and it was absolutely delightful to eat.

It was so fun watching the kids in the kitchen. The oldest exclaimed "I cooked lunch!" I want to do more kitchen activities with them, especially those that involve using fresh produce from the garden. I think it's neat for kids to see where our food comes from and see the process of growing, picking, preparing, and eating. It's just kind of a neat cycle!

Mmmm...I might go have a second helping now that the kiddos are down for nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment